What are star rating? What is the difference between 3 star and 5 star ac?
Are you not sure of which AC will be the best for you to beat the heat this summer? Are the hundreds of choices of AC available in the market making you more confused? Here you will find the kinds of best air conditioners manufactured in India and decide which would be best suited to you. AC price in India is also listed here, including split AC 1 ton 5-star price. You will also get the basic difference between 3star and 5 star AC.
1.5 Ton : Great for medium sized rooms (110-150 sq ft) 3 Star BEE Rating 2017 : For energy savings upto 15% (compared to Non-Inverter 1 Star) Auto Restart: No need to manually reset the settings post power-cut Copper : Energy efficient, best in class cooling with easy maintenance.
1.5 Ton : Great for medium sized rooms (110-150 sq ft)
3 Star BEE Rating 2017 : For energy savings upto 15% (compared to Non-Inverter 1 Star)
Auto Restart: No need to manually reset the settings post power-cut
Copper : Energy efficient, best in class cooling with easy maintenance.
How the difference between 3 star and 5 star ac affects your purchase?
With an ever-increasing impact of Global Warming, the rise in temperature has been consistent in its year by year records. The hot sun in summer and an urge to have a better lifestyle has raised the demand for ACs in the market. The rising demand has lead to technological developments in AC over the years. Presently, an AC comes with a star rating that defines the efficiency of the AC.
Let us understand star ratings better!
Star Rating System is a way of assessing its energy efficiency. In simple terms, the star rating of an AC reveals the electrical power required by the equipment to cool down the room. The star rating of an air conditioner takes two major factors into account:
The British Thermal Units (BTU)
It is a unit to measure the cooling capacity of an AC, i.e. its proficiency in cooling a room.
Energy Efficiency Rating (EER)
It is a rating that tells of the amount of cooling an AC can provide using a certain amount of power.
Star ratings is an iportant factor to consider while buying an ac!
- The star ratings of an AC are directly related to its cooling capacity.
- An AC with a high star rating will be able to cool a large area with less power in comparison to ACs having lower ratings.
- The star ratings let one determine various’ AC models’ performance and also their energy efficiency, based on prevalent conditions. Usually, ACs are rated between 1 star (minimum) and 5 star (maximum).
Split AC with inverter compressor: Variable speed compressor which adjusts power depending on heat load. It is most energy efficient and has lowest-noise operation. Capacity: 1.5 Ton. Suitable for medium sized rooms (111 to 150 sq ft)
Split AC with inverter compressor: Variable speed compressor which adjusts power depending on heat load. It is most energy efficient and has lowest-noise operation.
Capacity: 1.5 Ton. Suitable for medium sized rooms (111 to 150 sq ft)
Major Difference between 3 star and 5 star AC
- A 5-star AC will take same time to cool your room as opposed to a 3-star AC. The difference between a 3-star and a 5-star AC is that the power consumption of a 5-star AC would be way lesser than a 3-star one.
- Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) of a 3-star AC ranges between 2.9 and 3.09. On the other hand, the EER of a 5-star AC is 3.3 and above.
- The energy efficiency of a 5 Star AC is better than 3 Star one, as the former consumes less power. Websites like Bijli Bachao have provided actual comparisons on their web pages. On an average, a 3-star AC would cost approximately INR 580 per month in terms of electricity charges, while a 5-star AC, having an equivalent capacity, would cost around INR 500 per month.
Important points to be noted:
- Apart from electricity bills, there are other expenses which one incurs while buying and installing an AC. It is important to understand those expenses. An AC gives out a total expense of owning and using it, which is called Total Cost of Ownership (TCO). It refers to the total amount, which one spends for an object, obtained by the total of initial cost and maintenance costs.The TCO of a 5-star AC is lower than that of a 3-star AC; the former incurs less operating cost in the long run. Better ratings lead to better cost effectiveness, which in long term saves more money than what one can save while buying a 3-star AC at a lesser price.
- Further, it should be taken into consideration that the star ratings are revised annually. The 3-star rating of the ongoing year could be better than the 4-star rating of the previous year. It is important to check the latest star ratings to avoid getting misguided. If a 3-ton AC is used where a 1-ton variant would be enough, it will consume much more electricity than required, irrespective of the star rating. One should be abreast of the ratings to avoid being misguided.
- The star ratings are not stringent. The improvement rate in energy efficiency is restricted to a mere six to seven percent from the existing system. Therefore, changing the models of your AC makes less sense than in the case of refrigerators. A model purchased after 2010 would have a similar rating. This can be concluded as the super-efficient 5-star AC models purchased in 2013 will remain 5-star even in the next year, i.e. 2014. Therefore, the prices of various AC brands should have some stability for people investing in their super-efficient models.
Also Read: How to look for best split AC in India
After having a detailed view of SRS, it is time to look for other generic factors to consider while purchasing an AC. Find the answer to questions like:
- What is the purpose of buying it, what are the features you require, like humidity control, air purification, etc.
- Whether you need a split AC or a Window AC, the AC should have an adjustable thermostat with variable cooling speeds and fan speeds.
- One also needs to consider the size of the room to evaluate the capacity of the AC. An area of 120-140 sq ft would require a 1-ton split AC with 5 stars.
- Search the internet with jumbled questions like which is the best AC brand to buy, what is the range of AC prices in India, how much has 1.5-ton split AC power consumption, and more. More research would make you an aware buyer and chances of buying a wrong AC would be reduced considerably.